I recently placed first in the Oregon Three Minute Thesis state championship. You can watch my presentation here.
Who I Am (in a non-metaphysical sense)
I'm a PhD candidate in the Natural Language Processing group of the Center for Spoken Language Understanding (CSLU)
at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU).
My advisors are Steven Bedrick and Brian Roark.
I study language modeling, with particular focus on its applications in assistive technology, alternative text input methods, predictive text in alternative and augmentative communication (AAC), small-footprint models, and model adaptation.
- Ph.D. Computer Science, (Expected 2015). Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR.
- M.A. Mathematics, 2006. Washington State University, Pullman, WA.
- B.A. Mathematics, 2004. Washington State University, Pullman, WA.
- B.A. English, 2007. Washington State University, Pullman, WA.
- Graduate Research Assistant, Sep 2010 – Present, OHSU, Portland, OR.
- Software Engineering Intern, Summer 2013 & Winter 2013/14, Google, Mountain View, CA.
- Language Modeling Research Intern, Summer 2012, Nuance, Boston, MA.
- Quality Data Analyst, 2007 – 2010, Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Pullman, WA.
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, 2004 – 2006, WSU Mathematics Department, Pullman WA.
Papers and Publications
- Effects of Language Modeling and its Personalization on Touchscreen Typing Performance
A. Fowler, K. Partridge, C. Chelba, X. Bi, T. Ouyang, and S. Zhai — SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems 2015.
Best of CHI: Honorable Mention
- Brain-Computer Interface With Language Model-Electroencephalography Fusion for Locked-In Syndrome
B. Oken, U. Orhan, D. Erdogmus, A. Fowler, A. Mooney, B. Peters, M. Miller, and M. Fried-Oken — Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair, vol. 28, no. 4.
- Improved Inference and Autotyping in EEG-based BCI Typing Systems
A. Fowler, B. Roark, U. Orhan, D. Erdogmus, and M. Fried-Oken — Proceedings of ACM SIGACCESS 2013
- Autocompletion and Autodeletion in Binary Typing Systems
A. Fowler, B. Roark, and M. Fried-Oken — Northwest NLP 2012.
- Improved Accuracy Using Recursive Bayesian Estimation Based Language Model Fusion in ERP-based BCI Typing Systems
U. Orhan, D. Erdogmus, B. Roark, B. Oken, S. Purwar, K.E. Hild, A. Fowler, and M. Fried-Oken — Proceedings of EMBC 2012
- Language Models in Keyboard Emulation
B. Roark, A. Fowler, and M. Fried-Oken — Text Entry Methods Workshop of ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems 2012. (Refereed Conference Presentation - Unpublished)
- Towards Technology-Assisted Co-Construction
B. Roark, A. Fowler, R. Sproat, C. Gibbons, and M. Fried-Oken — Conference on Empirical Methods on
Natural Language Processing, Speech & Language Processing for Assistive Technologies (SLPAT) 2011.
- Adaptation for Mobile Text Entry. Google Internship with Shumin Zhai, Feb 2014.
- Leveraging Wikipedia for Improved Voice Search Language Models. Nuance Internship with Nathan Bodenstab, Oct 2012.
- Towards Technology-Assisted Co-Construction [slides]. CSLU, Jan 2012
Activities & Awards
- First Place, State of Oregon, Three-Minute Thesis Competition, Spring 2014
- Sidney G. Hacker Undergraduate Research Scholarship, WSU Mathematics Department. Studied additive number theory approaches to scale/weighting problems.
- Pass with Distinction, WSU Honors Thesis. Minesweeper: A Statistical and Combinatorial Approach. WSU Honors College.
- National Merit Scholar